Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Altenew Academy Project #14...

Hi! I am here today with two cards that I created for the Altenew Educator Certification Program. These cards are my assignment for the Impressive Heat Embossing Techniques by Svetlana Marchenko.

I have always loved heat embossing and enjoy trying out new techniques. So I was really looking forward to this class. I would highly recommend this class to both newbies and experienced crafters. It covers the basics really well as well as giving several fresh ideas for using your supplies.

I chose to try a technique that I have admired for a long time but never tried. This was the lesson on Layered Heat Embossing. Here are the two cards I made.



I chose to use the Perennial Beauty stamp set because it is easy to line up and doesn't have an outline. I have a large collection of coloured Wow! embossing powders and I used them for my layering. I used glitter EP for the final layer. I don't have glitter blue EP. So I did the last layer with dark blue EP and then repeated the layer with Holographic EP.

Once my layered heat embossing was done, I thought the card needed something more. So I stamped the outline leaf image from the Peony Bouquet stamp set around the flower and heat embossed with clear EP. I didn't bother masking my flowers. I simply brushed off the clear EP off before heat embossing.

Here is a closeup of the blue flower.



There were lots of white specks on the card base after my embossing was done. To cover it I diluted some white poster paint, added a hint of blue and then flicked it all over my card. The sentiment is from the Birthday Greetings stamp set. I trimmed the sides and the bottom of the panel and mounted it on a bright blue card base with foam tape. Here is a closer look at the completed card.



Entering the card in the following challenges:

Simon Says Monday - Monochrome:

Allsorts Challenge Week 486 - Water or Colour Blue:

The Twisted Challenges TTC#4 - Celebrations + Monochrome:


Dare2B Artzy Septemper Challenge - Favourite Colour:
I really love the colour blue, especially when combined with black.


I wasn't too sure about the pink flower. In fact, I started stamping two pink flowers - one on black and the other on dark blue base. The dark blue one was abandoned after a couple of layers because it wasn't looking good. The paper was wrapping too much and the colours didn't work together. When the final layer was done, I loved it! Here is a close up of the pink flower.



I trimmed the flower panel and adhered it to a black card base. I die cut the second panel with an aperture out of the same cardstock and mounted it over the flower with foam tape. Before that, I stamped the sentiment from Birthday Greetings stamp set with glitter pink EP. I tried to re-stamp the sentiment with my stamp positioner. Unfortunately, the paper shifted slightly. So I heat embossed with clear EP. This gave a nice, off-set shadow to the sentiment. Here is a close look at the completed card.



Entering the card in the following challenges:

Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge - Bling It On:

The Flower Challenge - #24 - Anything Goes:



Some of the lessons I learnt are:
  • Use the anti-static powder LIBERALLY between layers. Otherwise, you will end up with a speckled mess. I use talcum powder with a makeup brush.
  • Make sure your heat gun is very hot and you work very fast especially towards the end. If you apply too much heat, the layers will start melting together.
  • Use a juicy ink pad for stamping and stamp couple of times to get a good coverage.
  • Test the paper you are using beforehand. You don't want to abandon the card after putting in a few layers because the paper starts warping or the colours don't work well together..
  • Use an opaque embossing powder for the base layer. Otherwise, it will not show up on the dark card base.
  • Feel free to mix small amounts of embossing powders to create new colours or effects. 
Love,
Nandini

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful and very striking cards, many thanks for joining in with our 'water or colour blue' theme at Allsorts challenge.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome cards! Love the pops of color on the black background! Thanks for participating in the Dare 2B Artzy September Challenge! -Tasha ☺

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look so beautiful, thanks for joining us at Allsorts, xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow - so pretty and love how you "covered up" the white EP.
    Thanks so much for sharing with us at Allsorts challenge,
    Lynn x
    DT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh so gorgeous. Those colors against the black are just stunning! Thanks for joining us for the Bling It On challenge at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge.
    Misty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nandini, these two cards are so beautiful!! Love your use of dies and multi-step heat embossing! I am so glad that you enter your beautiful work in Altenew AECP assignment Gallery. Awesome details and design! Super work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love both of them!! Love the layers in the embossing! Thanks for joining us at The Twisted Challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely project. Thank you for joining our challenge at The Twisted Challenges and hope to see you join us next time too

    ReplyDelete
  9. your cards are beautiful. Love the layered embossing. Thank you for joining us at The Twisted Challenges

    ReplyDelete