Friday, March 16, 2018

Altenew Academy Project #5...

Hi! I am really enjoying my classes at the Altenew Academy. I love the fact that these classes not only teach new techniques, but also give a fresh insight into familiar ones!

Today's card is based on the Celebration Stencil Techniques class by Laurel Beard. My love affair with stencils started when I was in college. I studied Textile Design and we used to make stencils manually with sheets of acetate and a simple cutter. This was before ready to use stencils were available. I have also designed a few stencils for Mudra Craft Stamps based on Arabic designs.


You can find examples of my cards with these stencils here and here.

Unfortunately I don't have any Altenew stencils. But that is not an issue since you can stretch your dies by using them as stencils. Any dies work for this and intricate dies work particularly well.

I used the Dodecagram die to create my card.


I first inked a piece of watercolor paper with some distress ink. I cut the die out of a sturdy piece of paper and placed it on the inked panel. Since the die cuts a thin outline, I placed the negative piece of paper as well and taped it down. I then applied green distress ink through my 'stencil'. 

Initially I planned to add some flowers over the stenciling. But the panel looked so good, I decided to keep it as is. The sentiment is from the Birthday Greetings stamp set by Altenew. I stamped it with Jet Black ink. To finish I added some gold sequins from my stash.

Here is a closer look.



I love this simple card and would love to make it in different color combinations.

Entering this card in the following challenges:

AAA Cards CAS Game #110 - Ombre:


Muse Challenge #257:
I was inspired by the 3 blooms forming a rough triangle in one corner and the sentiment stamped in bold black in the opposite corner.


Love,
Nandini

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful card, loving the soft ombré background. Thanks for playing at AAA Cards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nandini a very pretty card, so fun to see the inspiration interpreted with stencils. Thank you for sharing with us at Muse this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful take on this class, Nandini! Love the warm yellow and green in color combo! Love this so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you were inspired by the Muse and the way you used your die to make a stencil! Thanks so much for joining us at Muse this week!

    ReplyDelete